Thursday 19 April 2007

The operation


My operation was set on October 16th. I went to the Hospital the week before in order to get all the preop tests done, and Doctors also told me that "it" hadn't reduced with the meds. They explained to me that due to its size, it had expanded upwards (pressing the optic chiasm) downwards (invading spheniod sinus) and sidewards (invading both cavernous sinuses, and pressing right carotid artery). Apart from that, my GH was 33.60 ng/ml, which was even higher than in June. These were wonderful news!

There was also the possibility to have the operation through my forehead, but they would see in the Operation Room. Really calming!

Anyway, there was no choice, so I just fell asleep, and woke up! And it was over! I was in the ICU, my nose filled with lints and a great pain in both sides of the back of my head. I touched my forehead and happily could find out that there was nothing... I asked a nurse if I had something in the back of my head and she touched just two bumps, she said that they had probably been caused by something to fix my head to the operation table. That was great because it was the only pain!

In the ICU I was connected to a machine to control my heart beats, my blood pressure, the oxygen in the blood and a tube to pee. I could hardly move, but I was happy. Slowy I was waking up from anaesthesia. Later, my Neurosurgeon came and told me that it was very soft so they had been able to remove a great part of it, by the nose. In the visit time (from 18.00 to 18.30) my parents told me that I had been inside from 9.00 am till 14.00, for what Doctors had said to take just two hours. Also came in to see me my grandma, two aunts, my brother, and two friends... it was great to see them, and all of them told me that I looked great!

I spent the whole night in the ICU, it was long and a bit sad, because I could see the rest of the people who were there and all of them were very sick... This is when you realize that, although you have had a terrible luck, there is a lot of people who is much worse than you.

Next morning they took my to my previous room. They found insipidus diabetes (I had to pee one week in bottles) till they decided that I was cured. I went home on October 25th, with a new round of blood tests and an appointment withmy Endo for November 28th.

No comments: