Tuesday 20 November 2007

Preparing for the radiotherapy

I am deeply sorry for not having updated this blog in such a long time... It's been too long but today it's the day!
The most important thing that has happened to me about acro this time is that I've met Raquel, who is a 26 years old Spanish girl. This is the picture of the first time we met.

She had surgery almost two years ago and now she is controlled with Somavert. She is really nice and she has came twice to Madrid since we first spoke. I am really happy of having found her. I will tell you more about her in following posts.

I have also been very busy with the medical evolution:
- I saw the MRI after the 2nd op and there is no noticeable difference.
- I had my blood tests at the beggining of October but somehow my endocrinologist will give me the results on January 23rd.
- My endo told me that he would prescribe me Somavert while we are waiting for radiotherapy: this is because Somavert does not work on the tumor but in the GH receptors (or something like that) With Somavert you get high GH but low IGF-1. If you have Sandostatin or a Somatostine Analogue it works directly on the tumor, and radio then is less efective. However, till Jan 23rd I will not go to see him.
- After that, I went to see my neurosurgeon, who told me that there was no need to wait for blood results. He said that with my tumor size, radiotherapy is needed anyway. He sent me to the radio doctor (here in Spain you need a doctor to send you to another, you cannot go directly)
- So I went to the radiotherapy oncologist (sounds scary, doesn't it?) but he is really calming. He also told me to start radio asap. So, I started with the radio preparation:
- The treatment I am having is "Fractionated Stereotactic Radiotherapy" whish is

No comments: